• PRINCIPAL / ADMINISTRATOR:  Fredda Johnson
    Phone:  (813)757-9442
    Fax:  (813) 757-9451

    Student Hours: 9:20 AM to 4:20 PM

    Uniforms: No Uniforms

    Before School Program: Yes
    After School Program: Only on Monday's

School History

  • The first Turkey Creek School, a log cabin located near the corner of Turkey Creek and Trapnell Roads, opened in 1863. It remained at this site for 47 years. In 1903, Turkey Creek consolidated with the Bledsoe School and the Pleasant Grove School to form a new school which was located southwest of the intersection of Highway 60 and Turkey Creek Road.

    The first graduating class of Turkey Creek High School received diplomas in February 1908. After 1909, the school gradually phased in a junior high program. In 1920, the school was moved to its present site on Turkey Creek Road, just north of Highway 60. High school courses were offered again in 1928 when the senior high was built. The "U-shaped building" was constructed in 1938 and became the new senior high building.

    By 1960, Turkey Creek Junior-Senior High School had a population consisting of 850 students and 34 teachers. It was considered the largest rural high school in the state. Operating as a "strawberry school" until 1956, Turkey Creek School was not in session during the 3-month winter strawberry picking season. In the 1960s, the south wing of the 300 building, the shop, bandroom and physical education facilities were added. When the new Plant City High School was formed in 1972, Turkey Creek became a junior high school.

    A major fire on October 16, 1973 destroyed the library, several classrooms, and part of the school's offices. This resulted in the construction of the new adminstration/library building and the building for students with disabilities. A cafeteria, gym, and Science building wing were added in the early 1980s. In August of 1995, Turkey Creek Junior High became Turkey Creek Middle School.

    Turkey Creek Middle School underwent an $11 million dollar renovation project during 1997-1998 to accommodate one of the largest middle school populations in the Hillsborough County School district at that time.