PRINCIPAL / ADMINISTRATOR: Rashad Woods
Phone: (813) 233-2655
Fax: (813) 233-2659
Address: 2704 N Highland Ave.
Tampa Florida 33602
Built in 1911, the D.W. Waters Center is housed in the first high school built in Hillsborough County. It recently has been beautifully rehabilitated, earning an award for outstanding preservation from the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation in 2003. The building is a three-story masonry block building accented by a rusticated masonry water table. A closed rectangle with an open center that has been partially infilled, the structure occupies an entire city block.
The building is highly significant as an early twentieth century example of a purposefully constructed urban high school, demonstrating ordered assemblage of spaces in an educational facility. Originally designed by William Potter, an addition was done in 1920 by noted Tampa architect M. Leo Elliott, who laid one of his signature bricks where the addition meets the original.
On April 24, 1994, due to the efforts of the TJHS Alumni Association, the school was renamed the D.W. Waters Memorial Center. under the leadership of Katherine Moore Morse, the TJHS Alumni Association worked to have the building placed on the National Register of Historic places. It serves today as a memorial to Mr.Waters, and is a symbol of the county's early dedication to education.
It reopened its doors to educate high school age students in August 2002 as D.W. Waters Career Center, the first Career Center in Hillsborough County.