Dual Language Immersion Program
Preparing Biliterate Students for Life.
The Dual Language Immersion Program is a rigorous program where standards-based academic content and literacy are taught in both Spanish and English. This program adheres to high expectations and state standards.
Program Goals - To develop
- Bilingual, biliterate and bicultural students
- High levels of academic achievement
- An appreciation and understanding of diverse cultures.
Students who acquire advanced levels of proficiency in second languages often experience certain cognitive and linguistic advantages when compared to monolingual students. (Cummins,1981;Lambert, Genesee, Halolbow & Chatrand 1993)
Students who are exposed to a second language at an early age have a better chance to learn and be more successful in the acquisition of a second language (Cognitive Neuroscientist Laura Ann Petitto, 2004)
There is increasing evidence that phonological awareness transfers across languages. (e.g. Durgunoglu & Verhoeven, 1998; Geva, 2000)
Instructional Program Design
- 50/50 model - students will receive 50% of their instruction in Spanish and 50% in English
- English-dominant and Spanish-dominant students are integrated for instruction throughout the day
- Skills are taught in one language and reinforced in the other language through thematic teaching and cross-linguistic development
- Intellectual growth
- Creativity in thinking and listening
- Higher order reasoning skills
- Effective communication in both English and Spanish
- Literacy in both languages
- Appreciation for cultural diversity
- Pride in own culture
- Skills necessary in a global economy
- College and career readiness