Troops to Teachers

  • logo

    Troops to Teachers is a U.S. Department of Defense program that helps eligible military personnel begin a new career as teachers in public schools where their skills, knowledge and experience are most needed.

    New Legislation January 2, 2013
    Recent changes to the legislation governing the Troops to Teachers (TTT) program expand eligibility requirements providing a greater number of military members with access to program benefits!

    All current and former members of the U.S. Armed Forces whose last period of service is characterized as honorable may participate in the program for counseling and referral services. Those who meet certain education, military service and registration requirements may also be eligible to apply for TTT financial assistance to assist with their transition to the classroom.

    Referral and Placement Assistance
    Effective January 2, 2013, Troops to Teachers offices nationwide are now able to provide personalized counseling and referral assistance to all military members, past or present, who have served honorably. Troops to Teachers registration is open to all veterans regardless of time in service who have an interest in education in Pre-K public , Charter, Bureau funded and DoDEA as school teachers, resource teachers and non-instructional positions such as paraprofessionals, teacher’s aides, counselors, psychologists, school nurses, librarians, media specialists, speech therapists, audiologists, physiotherapists, resource officers, school principals, and vice principals.

    Registration is open to any veteran whose last period of service is characterized as Honorable with an interest in instructional positions such as teacher or resource teacher or non-instructional positions such as paraprofessional, teacher’s aide, counselor, psychologist, school nurse, librarian, media specialist, speech therapist, audiologist, physiotherapist, resource officer, school principal, or vice principal. Financial assistance is available to eligible participants who are working to become certified teachers in public K-12, schools, charter schools or Bureau of Indian Affairs schools.

    To register or find out more about Troops to Teachers go to

    Certification Requirements

    Academic Certificates
    Anyone seeking academic certification must hold at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited or approved institution. The Florida Department of Education issues two types of teaching certificates for academic subjects: a nonrenewable Temporary Certificate, valid for three years, and a renewable Professional Certificate, valid for five years. Those who qualify for a Temporary Certificate may seek and obtain employment prior to completing all of the requirements for the Professional Certificate.

    If you do not hold a four year degree, the Troops to Teachers Office can provide a list of institutions that work well for individuals who are changing careers and also trying to complete their degree.

    Florida offers a variety of options for prospective teachers to complete their certification requirements. Some of these will allow you to complete your certification outside the state of Florida, or while you are on active duty state-side or overseas, or in your current civilian employment. Before selecting a specific route to certification, you should compare the cost and the time required to complete the requirements and then select the option that best fits your needs. The Florida Caribbean Region Troops to Teachers office can assist you in understanding the requirements for each option and in making the most appropriate choice.

    Vocational Certificates
    Vocational certificates are of two types. The first is issued by the state and requires a college degree from an accredited or approved institution, as well as other requirements similar to those listed for an Academic Certificate (see Options for Certification, below). The second type of vocational certificate (non-degreed) is issued by each school district based upon work experience in an occupational field rather than college degrees. The state requires the completion of professional education training in teaching methods, course construction, lesson planning and evaluation and teaching special needs students. This training may be completed through coursework from an accredited or approved institution or an approved district teacher education program.

    For more information regarding the Troops to Teachers Program, please visit